Do Your Genes Fit?

We may not be able to change the genes we’re born with but thanks to innovations in genetic testing and DNA mapping, we can ensure we give ourselves the best possible chance of avoiding serious illness in life.

If you have a history of cancer in your family then you will probably be more genetically disposed to the disease yourself, but even if you carry the gene for a particular cancer, it only indicates a 30% chance of you contracting the disease – the remaining 70% is based on factors such as lifestyle, environment, diet and medicine. So, if you know you are at risk, you can at least make informed choices that will reduce the likelihood of you becoming ill with the disease.

Today there are tests designed to screen for more than 76 genetic conditions, various drug responses and a host of complex health conditions including Alzheimer’s Disease, Asthma, Colorectal Cancer, Coronary Artery Disease, Diabetes (types 1 & 2), Glaucoma, Hypertension, Leukemia, Multiple Sclerosis, Myocardial Infarction, Obesity, Prostate Gland Cancer and Rheumatoid Arthritis among others.

Within genetics there are markers for diet and nutrition needs and markers for exercise. These demonstrate how we may not be able to change the genes we’re born with but thanks to innovations in genetic testing and DNA mapping, we can ensure we give ourselves the best possible chance of avoiding serious illness in life.

There remains an assumption today that genetic diseases cannot be prevented, that they are somehow pre-determined and unavoidable. However, that is not the case and there are increasingly sophisticated tests available through which our genes can be checked and analyzed so as to give advance warning of individual risk to serious disease and also indicators for what we can do in terms of lifestyle, environment, diet and medicine to prevent the genetic expression of diseases.

We all are unique in terms of our DNA, the genetic code that makes us who we are, and our DNA can be processed and analyzed to help identify our individual susceptibilities to various genetic disorders and our likely response to the drugs used to treat illnesses. Genetic tests are easy and painless – all they require is a saliva sample and a qualified laboratory to carry out DNA processing, screening and analysis. The results enables doctors to not only assess an individual’s genetic exposure to diseases but also how the patient may respond to a particular drug. This helps to eliminate unnecessary treatment, reduce the incidence of adverse reactions to drugs, increase the efficacy of treatments, and improve healing times and outcomes.

Your genetics might indicate the need for exercise to combat the possibility of serious disease. For example, a genetic test may show that you need to engage in strength exercises such as weight resistance training to increase your good cholesterol level as a means of combating high blood pressure or coronary disease.

Genetic markers for metabolic health show you how to match your diet, your eating behavior, your reaction to food and your nutritional needs so that you can personalize your diet to fit your genes, so to speak.

Within a month of a one-off genetic test at the Dr. Orawan Holistic Beauty & Anti-aging Institute, results are printed and presented as a ‘personal bible’ mapping your genetic history. This is a vital tool in planning for healthy living because knowing your genetic profile means you can live smarter and maximize what your parents gave you, even if they and their parents may have been prone to a particular illness. This is a smarter way to plan for your future health and that of your children – because as sure as the sun rises every morning, you too will pass on your genetic traits to your offspring.

WordPress Lightbox
ปิดโหมดสีเทา